feedburner
Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

feedburner count

Living with Dyslexia

ป้ายกำกับ:


by: Mike Fak


This was what was supposed to be called a short work week but it was anything but for me. First off, all the organizations, state agencies and to a degree even the AP slowed down on sending in their releases. Of course most of them aren't worth printing but you can usually find a few nuggets amongst the self-serving balderdash. That meant I had to find stories without at least a few landing in my lap.

To make matters worse, I was being taught how to post all our AP articles since the publisher who usually does that will be taking some time off. Now posting takes about twelve steps per article and for the life of me I was having trouble remembering the sequence and the certain nuances that some of them have.

Thank God my son, who was doing his own job but was listening in, got it all as I don't think I have it yet. Yes, the youngster is already way ahead of me and doing just fine on the job. He has tried to encourage me when I forget a step or forget what comes next and he calmly shows me my errors and I move on. He has explained to me. "Dad, don't be discouraged. You know 90% of what to do. Of course the 10% you still don't know is crucial.

The real problem I have been having is because the step by step instructions are in plain English and when I get discouraged and lose my concentration, I can't read English. You see I am one of those millions of Americans who suffer from Dyslexia. It is a really strange malady and I imagine I am lucky that my case is mild or at least I have been able to control it over the years so that it seems mild. I can read a book for pleasure quite handily and I can look at other works as long as I am relaxed and concentrating. When I get flustered, or in a hurry or spend too much brain power worrying about why I can't get something, then the monster kicks in and the words start moving letters around and nothing makes sense to me.

MRI's have shown we dyslexics aren't using the correct spot in the brain when we read and there are varying degrees of this non-register of words into thoughts just as there are varying degrees of stroke damage.

When I type fast I also come out with some real douzies. I have never speed-typed Chicago right in my life. It always comes out Chicago every single time. Once in a while when I get pressed for time I look back at a misspelled word and it is so far removed from what it should be that I sometimes can't figure out what word it was I wanted to type.

Like I said, I am fine when I'm not flustered or in a rush and can concentrate but I am a rushing kind of person so it can be hard some days.

I'm fortunate that I have my little mentor right at home who I can yell to when I forget something I should be able to remember and can't see it on the sheet right in front of me. I'm lucky. The monster could have been worse.

Freelance writer, columnist, author and writing coach, ex-Chicagoan Mike Fak presently resides in Central Illinois. More information about Mike's services are available at his home website www.mikefak.com

Mike currently writes humor columns for searchwarp bi-weekly and is the managing editor of www.lincolndailynews.com
More information for making money as a freelance writer is available at http://www.mikefak.com/id45.html


0 ความคิดเห็น:

Post a Comment